2022 02 25
RESEARCH ON NATURAL AND SYNTHETIC GRAIN PEST (MEALWORM) LARVAE REPELLENTSBack
Word “chemicals” for most of people sounds scary. However, the truth is, that we face chemicals every single day while having a shower, cleaning our houses, swimming in the swimming pool and so on. Are all of them good and beneficial to us? Not at all. On the other hand, not all of them are that bad too.
How does it work?
The aim of this project is to investigate the suitability of natural and synthetic repellents for mealworm.
First of all:
• Based on the analysis of the scientific literature, materials of natural origin with potentially repellent properties for mealworm were selected.
• Analysis of the amounts of individual chemicals in selected essential oils was performed;
• Methodology for research of efficiency and laboratory tests of natural and synthetic repellents has been developed;
• Laboratory tests were performed with mealworm larvae using selected essential oils and oils with the most pronounced repellence properties were evaluated;
• Laboratory tests were performed on mealworm larvae using a synthetic repellent and its repellence properties were evaluated;
• The most effective substances have been identified and suggestions have been made for the possible combination of these repellents.
Why is this needed?
According to general statistics, the average loss of grain due to mold and pest activity is 10%. We have already developed an innovative grain and feed quality control system which enables the user to identify grain spoilage at an early stage and warns of favorable conditions for the emergence of pests in storage. This research is the next step, which aims to develop safe grain protection measures to help protect grain from pests without harming the environment or loosing grain quality.
What is the benefit?
It is planned that the solution developed by the company would reduce losses by up to 5%, which would allow an average Lithuanian farmer to save up to 3,500 euros per year.
Host institution: Agency for Science, Innovation and Technology
Instrument: The measure “Promoting Commercialization and Transnationality of R&D Results” (EUREKA)
Project start: 2020-07-01
Project end: 2022-06-30